Friday, December 16, 2011

Seasonal Songs to Sing To

I recently had a fun buying spree on iTunes as I set up a Christmas playlist. I get that going, put my fire on the TV, turn on the Christmas tree, drink some generic brand Irish Cream on the rocks and it starts to feel pretty darn festive up here in the sky.

Here are some of the tunes I am (badly) singing along to this year.

KT Tunstall - Sleigh Ride

I saw KT Tunstall live at the V Festival in England a few years back and she was fantastic. I love her rendition of Sleigh Ride, here sung live. Her rendition of Mele Kalikimaka is also pretty great (Christmas Vacation fans know that one!)



Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson - Winter Song

I first downloaded this song a couple of years ago, and it has become one of my favourite seasonal tunes. Sara Bareilles is of course best known for her song "Love Song" and more recently for being on the judging panel of The Sing-Off.



She & Him - Baby It's Cold Out There

The whole She & Him album has a quirky and vintage sound. I like how on this song, they added a modern twist. I have loved Zooey Deschanel's voice ever since she belted out a festive song in Elf.



Michael Buble - All I Want For Christmas Is You

I'm not ashamed to admit that Mariah Carey's now classic ditty is one of my absolute favourite Christmas songs. And I'm also not ashamed to admit that I also like the Buble's slower, more melancholy version. I stumbled across him being interviewed and performing live in the Eaton Centre a few years ago, and I have to say, in person, the Buble has got the it factor going on.


Dave Matthews Band - Christmas Song

I'm not much of a Dave Matthews fan, even though he was one of the bands of my generation, but I do really enjoy this song.



The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York

Finally, I can't share a Christmas playlist without mentioning the classic Fairytale of New York. In fact, just today, this melancholy tune was named the most played seasonal tune of the century in the UK ,yet it's not really played that much if at all in Canada.

Trust the Brits to embrace a song with the following lyrics:


You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last


1 comment:

  1. Nice song list! I have to admit Mariah's 'classic' is a fave of mine too. I thought I had it on my iphone while in Morocco, sadly I didn't :(

    ReplyDelete