Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And so a new year begins...

Happy New Year! I hope your holidays were fun filled and 2012 started with a bang.

I had a great time, I had the week between Christmas and New Year's off and spent a few days in Montreal with good friends bidding farewell to 2011. I have lots of plans for the upcoming year to share soon, but first thought I would show a few of the lovely gifts I received and sales items I purchased over the last couple of weeks.

Santa (aka my parents. Yes, I still get a stocking) was very good to me! Along with lots of chocolate and edible things, I received a few fun and useful kitchen items.

Egg-Perfect Egg Timer

I always struggle to get my boiled eggs just right, but this deceptively simple timer makes the process so easy. Just add it to the water with your eggs and the colour slowly changes as your eggs move from soft to medium to hard boiled.

I tried it for the first time last night and my eggs were perfect. The only downside is you have to actually be looking in the pot as the colour changes, but setting a timer to shortly before they should be done helps with that. I also read some reviews that talked about a burning plastic smell, but I didn't have that issue.


I have this oven mitt hanging on my oven door for when I need to check a baking sheet or stir some roasting vegetables. It has already become one of the most useful items in my kitchen.





I found some design books under the tree (one was a present to myself!) These are by a couple of my favourite design bloggers: Holly Becker from Decor8 and Grace Bonney from Design Sponge. I haven't had time to go through either book in any great depth yet, but both have amazing photos and seem so inspiring.


I bought the Moose from Indigo Books on sale. I love it so much I'm not planning to put it away any time soon. I think it can pass as a year round decoration item (or at least that's what I'm telling myself). This was the last one in store, but Moose and Squirrel globes are still available online.


And finally, I received the iPod docking system I was hoping for: the Geneva S! I love it, the sound is great and it looks pretty nice sitting in my living room. The bass is strong and it can get pretty loud (too loud for my condo!) I have listened to more music in the last week than I have in a long time. I'm not sure I would pay the regular $350 price for it, but on sale, it's a good buy.


And that rounds up some of my gifts from Christmas 2011! I hope the season was good to all of you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment